3 Powerful All-Natural Recipes to Help Degunk Your Hair Posted on 02 Oct 12:14
You might figure that a simple combination of shampoo and conditioner will keep your hair clean, right? Isn’t that what we’ve all believed since we were very young? But have you thought about all of the hair care products you are using? Serums, hairspray, wax, gel, pomade, styling creams and more! What kind of chemicals are these products introducing to your hair and scalp? And what about all of the toxins in our daily environment? Pollution, dust, UV rays… the list goes on. And it can all damage your healthy hair.
Today most of the hair care products you can find on shelves contain ingredients that cling to hair strands even after you wash. What they leave behind causes all kinds of problems to the appearance of your hair, and its health.
HOW BUILDUP HARMS YOUR HAIR
Even when you shampoo regularly, product buildup can accumulate and hold on to tiny particles of dirt, dust, and pollutants in your environment. If it is not washed away fully, this buildup can linger on the scalp (where the roots of new hair begin) and also along the entire strand. The result of this is flat, lackluster hair with no shine… no body… no life. Beyond that, hair gunk buildup can even slow the growth of healthy new hair causing you to lose that strong, luscious head of hair you have now.
Here is just a very short list of harmful ingredients and effects common to most hair care products we use on a daily basis:
- Silicones: A water-insoluble ingredient used to give hair a smooth appearance that may clog pores of the skin in the scalp (hair follicles).
- Parabens: These are the most commonly used preservatives in hair care products. They are generally considered safe but a buildup of this ingredient may cause damage to healthy hair.
- Sulfates: This is what makes shampoos bubble. But this ingredient can corrode the roots of your hair at the follicle.
- Phthalates: These are a common ingredient in hairspray and can also be found in other styling products. Since they work to hold hair in place, phthalates can cling to hair strands, hold onto toxins and damage your healthy hair and scalp.
- Mineral Oil: This is a petroleum-based ingredient that is too large to be absorbed into the skin, so it may remain on the surface of your scalp, damaging and preventing healthy hair growth.
HOW TO KEEP YOUR HAIR HEALTHY AND STRONG
If your hair follicles are all gunked up with product buildup and leftover toxins, hair strands will grow in brittle, weak, and undernourished. Getting healthy-looking hair is a daily process that includes choosing the best non-toxic hair care products and doing a regular hair detox to remove anything left behind.
Try these 3 Hair Detox Recipes to help wash away leftover grime and promote a healthy scalp and hair.
JOJOBA HAIR CLEANSER
- 1 heaping tablespoon (or more) of jojoba oil
- 3-5 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 3-5 drops Patchouli essential oil
- Heat jojoba oil to room temperature (you can use the microwave or any other method).
- Gently stir the mixture to blend all of the oils together evenly.
- Apply to the scalp and spread evenly through your hair.
- Massage your scalp with the tips of your fingers using a circular motion. Start the massage at the hair line then work the mixture all the way through strands to the ends.
- Cover your hair with a plastic shower cap.
- Heat a towel and wrap it around your head for about 30 minutes. Allow the jojoba cleanser enough time to penetrate hair strands and dissolve any buildup.
- Rinse with a warm water shampoo followed by one or more cool rinses.
APPLE CIDER BUILD UP REMOVER
- 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 1 cup of cool water
- 3-5 drops Chamomile essential oil
- 3-5 drops Sage essential oil
- 3-5 drops Lavender essential oil
- Add the water and vinegar together in a small mixing bowl or measuring cup.
- For those with longer hair or thick strands, double the amount (2-4 tablespoons of vinegar and 2 cups of water).
- Add essential oils, then stir to combine the ingredients.
- Apply as above.
CITRUS HAIR WASH
- ¼ cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup of warm water
- 3-5 drops Lemon essential oil
- 3-5 drops Orange essential oil
- 3-5 drops Grapefruit essential oil
- Blend the lemon juice and water together in a small mixing bowl.
- Add all essential oils and stir until combined.
- Apply the mixture to your hair after shampooing and leave it on for 3-5 minutes.
- Wash with warm water and follow with a cool rinse.
* Just a note of caution: lemon juice may lighten hair, so for those with darker color, halve the amount of lemon juice if you do not desire a lightening effect.
A FINAL NOTE ON ESSENTIAL OIL QUALITY
Essential oils that are used for cleansing masks and hair detox treatments must contain concentrated amounts of active volatile chemical compounds in order to effectively remove product build up and toxins from your hair and scalp. Only essential oils that are labeled “therapeutic” grade meet this standard. To ensure that you are using only the highest-quality premium essential oils, Healing Solutions manufactures its products with your safety and satisfaction in mind.
TRY IT FOR YOURSELF!
Strong and beautiful hair grows out of a healthy scalp. Keep yours clean and get that radiant, healthy-looking hair you want with these easy-to-make and deliciously fragrant hair detox recipes.