How to Make a Homemade Lip Balm Using Essential Oils Posted on 10 Sep 13:11
Lip balm is a product that can range in price from less than $1 to $20 or much more per tube. However, unlike what you might expect, the price of a lip balm is not indicative of its quality. Expensive lip balms contain many of the same ingredients as their cheaper counterparts. For example, Petrolatum, a key emollient found in many lip products like Vaseline and Chapstick, can contain chemicals known to cause cancer. Camphor, another common lip balm ingredient, is not meant to be swallowed and has caused seizures in children who do happen to ingest it.
Luckily there is an alternative to buying expensive and possibly toxic lip balm. Making your own all-natural lip balm using essential oils is easy, cheap, and fun! You just need a few ingredients that are readily available - some of them you might already have on hand.
A WARNING ABOUT ESSENTIAL OIL QUALITY
With any product that will come in contact with your lips or possibly be ingested, it’s important to only use food-grade ingredients. Essential oils that are labeled “fragrance” grade should not be used in this recipe because they can contain ingredients that are not safe to consume. Be sure that you are using only “premium” or “pure” essential oils so that your lip balm is safe to use and as effective as possible!
Healing Solutions offers only the purest essential oils and blends, manufactured with your safety and satisfaction in mind. You can learn more about our rigid testing procedures here.
HOMEMADE LIP BALM: THE BASIC RECIPE
This recipe is great for soothing dry, chapped lips and protecting them from further irritation. For this recipe, you’ll need the following:
- 1 tablespoon beeswax pellets (or one Crayola crayon in the color of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil of your choice (Coconut and Jojoba are best for lip balms)
- 10-15 drops essential oils (Peppermint, Basil, and Vanilla are great choices for a hint of flavor)
- Tin/container to house your new lip balm (a mini Altoids tin works well)
- Double boiler (a pan with a glass bowl placed inside works fine)
To start, heat your pan of water but don’t let it boil. Place the glass bowl in the pan and add cooking oil. Let warm until completely liquid, then stir in wax pellets and essential oils. Allow everything to simmer gently for about two minutes, stirring constantly. Once everything has blended together, pour into your container and allow to cool for about an hour before use.
SPICE IT UP!
If you want to customize this recipe, consider adding some of the following ingredients to target specific lip problems:
- Shea Butter: helps your lips stay moisturized and provides age-fighting benefits
- Honey: softens lips and protects against free-radical damage
- Chocolate: makes your lip balm yummy!
- Tea Tree Essential Oil: revitalizes lips and adds extra moisture
- Lavender Essential Oil: calms and soothes damaged lips
- Brown Sugar: exfoliates dead skin cells and tastes great
Need essential oils? Here at Healing Solutions, we have an extensive variety of premium grade essential oils at great prices. Check out the Healing Solutions Starter Sets for even more value!