How To Make All-Natural Perfumes Using Essential Oils Posted on 05 Sep 12:20
If you’ve visited the cosmetics counter at your local department store lately, you may have noticed something: perfume prices have gone nowhere but up, up, up. Best-selling perfumes range from $50 to upwards of $200 for a bottle that seems to hold no more than a few squirts! Add to that the host of chemicals used to replicate “natural” fragrances and you might begin to wonder exactly what you’re putting on your skin when you wear perfume.
The good news is that all-natural, long-lasting, lovely-smelling perfumes are easy and inexpensive to make at home. You can even customize a fragrance to best suit your own preferences and body chemistry. All you need are a few simple ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen cabinets and you’re ready to begin!
QUALITY OF INGREDIENTS
The first thing you’ll want to check before you start making perfume is the quality of the ingredients you’ll be using. Not all essential oils are created equal. Unlike fragrance-quality oils, pure essential oils have not been diluted or adulterated with harmful chemicals. They are more potent, more fragrant, and significantly more healthful than fragrance oils. When shopping for essential oils, select “therapeutic grade” or “premium” essential oils to ensure that you are using nothing but 100% natural and pure essential oils.
Healing Solutions offers only premium grade essential oils. Each oil has been tested and verified to ensure that every customer gets only the purest and most potent end product. You can LEARN MORE HERE.
You’ll need to select an oil or alcohol to use as a carrier for the essential oils you choose to put in your perfume. One good option is jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is a natural, non-comedogenic moisturizer. Another good choice is coconut oil, which has deodorizing properties and a very mild scent. If you choose to use alcohol, be sure that it is food grade. Vodka and rum are good choices that will allow essential oils to blend together nicely.
TOP, MIDDLE, AND BASE NOTES
When creating a perfume, it’s helpful to have a working knowledge of the different scent classifications of essential oils.
- Top notes are the first scent perceived in a fragrance and tend to wear off quickly as the aroma disperses. Several popular options for top notes are grapefruit, mandarin, bergamot, neroli, and thyme.
- Middle notes can be recognized when the top note wears off. They are considered the heart of any perfume. Great middle note choices for natural perfumes are cardamom, geranium, lavender, and chamomile.
- Base notes are the foundation of any perfume and help hold the middle and top notes together. They are known as “fixatives”. Common base essential oils include vanilla, jasmine, cedarwood, ylang ylang, and sandalwood.
Why is this information helpful? When making a perfume from essential oils, you’ll need to include at least one base, one middle, and one top note so that your perfume is well-balanced and not overwhelmed by a single scent.
For a more comprehensive list that breaks popular essential oils down by “musical category”, have a look at one of our previous posts here. It will be a powerful reference tool for you as you begin creating your own tantalizing fragrances!
The Basic Recipe
- 2 oz. of your chosen carrier
- 6-10 drops base note oil
- 10-15 drops middle note oil
- 6-8 drops top note oil
Combine all the essential oils and shake well. Let them sit for awhile (several hours to a few days) so that the scents can properly blend. Add your carrier oil or alcohol, mix well, and store for a few days to weeks until ready to use. It’s best to use a dark glass bottle for storage and application so that light does not degrade the essential oils in your perfume. Remember to always shake well before applying.
These recipes will get you started with creating your own all-natural perfume. Once you feel confident, try creating your own custom blend!
- 2 oz. Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 Drops Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- 4 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 10 Drops Geranium Essential Oil
- 6 Drops Neroli Essential Oil
- 2 oz. Vodka
- 6 Drops Jasmine Essential Oil
- 12 Drops Chamomile Essential Oil
- 3 Drops Mandarin Essential Oil
- 3 Drops Grapefruit Essential Oil
- 2 oz. Jojoba Oil
- 2 Drops Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- 4 Drops Sandalwood Essential Oil
- 4 Drops Chamomile Essential Oil
- 8 Drops Cardamom Essential Oil
- 2 Drops Neroli Essential Oil
- 6 Drops Bergamot Essential Oil
TRY IT FOR YOURSELF!
To get started on your own custom blends and homemade perfumes, shop a wide variety of premium essential oils at great prices here at Healing Solutions. Or try one of our Healing Solutions Starter Sets! Enjoy!