5 Ways Essential Oils Can Improve Your Yoga Practice Posted on 26 Feb 11:00
Yoga and essential oils go hand in hand. In fact, for millions of years Yoga masters have used these powerful plant essences to enhance their practices and today, you can find essential oils in use by beginners and yogis alike. In studios all around the world, private corners where “om” is uttered in peace and even at loud and proud yoga raves, essential oils are being utilized for their thousands of benefits .
There are many different ways that essential oils are able to improve your yoga practice. Here are just 5:
1. Stimulates the Mind. In ancient times, monks and other yogis would sit for long periods of time in mediation. Sometimes, they needed help in order to maintain a high level of mental awareness, while also keeping their bodies calm and relaxed. There are specific essential oils that have been used for their ability to not only lower heart rate and stress but also stimulate the brain into higher levels of functioning at the same time. For this reason, essential oils have been used for centuries during meditation practices like yoga. These essential oils are known to bring the mind into a heightened state of awareness, and are useful for meditation: Rosemary, clary sage, juniper berry and peppermint. And don’t forget our Meditation Blend!
2. Reduces Stress and Ends Anxiety. A yoga practice is just that: practice. And while it may seem like people are only doing yoga inside expensive studios, they are also practicing in their cars, at soccer games with the kids, and maybe even right next to you at the office. That’s right! And it’s because yoga is a GREAT way to reduce stress and anxiety no matter where you are. The unique compounds found in these essential oils are well-known for their ability to further reduce everyday stressors of both the body and mind: Chamomile, vanilla, vetiver, and lavender.
3. Cleans the Air and Disinfects Surfaces. Adding just a few drops of anti-bacterial essential oils to your diffuser can help to clean your environment and prepare you for a yoga practice. There’s nothing quite as disgusting as the smell of dirty bodies, filthy yoga mats or sweat in the air to turn you off of doing your asanas. Try using the power of essential oils to cleanse your space and clear the air of any nasty, infectious substances. Essential oils with natural cleansing properties include: Tea tree, cinnamon, pine, and thyme.
You can make your own yoga mat disinfectant spray with this simple recipe:
DIY Disinfectant Spray
- ¼ cup witch hazel
- ¼ cup rubbing alcohol
- 10-15 drops essential oil (you can use any single or blend your favorites)
Directions: Combine all of the ingredients together in a spray bottle and spritz on your yoga mat before, during or after use.
4. Promotes Effective Prana. Prana is another word for “breath” and in yoga, it loosely translates to “life-giving force.” Both on and off the yoga mat people work to observe the inflow and outflow of their breath in order to become more closely in tune with their own prana. Because of their thousands of aromatherapeutic benefits, essential oils are able to stimulate deep breathing thus improving this aspect of your yoga practice. Specific oils that promote deep steady inhalations and exhalations include: Eucalyptus, lemon, cedarwood and patchouli. And don’t forget about our Exhale Blend, or Breathe Blend!
5. Improves Energy Flow. The practice of yoga includes holding postures (asanas) and observing prana in the body to strengthen the connection we have to the energy flow in our bodies. Essential oils are known to aid in this process, and further support the practice of yoga through aromatherapy. Oils that are most popularly used to stimulate energy flow in the body include: Ylang ylang, bergamot, frankincense, and myrrh. When practicing yoga outside of the studio, you can also get all of the aromatherapy benefits from adding just a few drops of our Zen Blend to your Diffuser Necklace!
YOU, YOGA, AND ESSENTIAL OILS
There are millions of ways you can use essential oils to enhance your yoga practice. Add a few drops of your favorite single oil or blend to a diffuser to help create the sacred space where you practice, rub a small amount inside your hands and inhale to encourage deep breathing, spray down dirty surfaces or even dilute them in a carrier oil for a relaxing yoga massage – the options are truly limitless!
The way that essential oils work to support overall wellness and a state of mental bliss is truly unique. It has been scientifically shown that the chemical compounds found inside the essential oils of plant matter are able to stimulate specific areas of the brain associated with feelings of well being and support a healthy balancing response in all body systems.
A NOTE ON QUALITY
To gain the many, many benefits essential oils offer your yoga practice you need to be aware that NOT all oils are created equal. It’s a sad fact that most of the essential oils you can find out there today are not even essential oils! What you are really buying from most companies today are just fragrant plant waters, diluted with fillers, artificial ingredients, and harmful chemicals that can actually do more harm than good.
Because essential oil companies are able to label their products “therapeutic” without having to prove the quality of their products, the market is flooded with low-quality oils masquerading as medicine. When you are using essential oils for yoga what you need is high-quality, true plant essences that are potent in the active compounds you count on for therapeutic results.
At Healing Solutions, our customers’ heath and ultimate happiness is our #1 priority. That’s why we test, certify, and verify every batch of essential oils we make to be 100% pure and unadulterated… so you get that deep sense of peace, calm and om-azing you want on your yoga mat.