5 DIY Winter Skin Remedies That Work Posted on 05 Feb 11:10
Winter weather can take a lot out of your skin. The cold temperatures are enough to contend with but then there is also the lack of sunshine, the low humidity and the wind. All of these things contribute to winter skin dryness, chapping, itchiness, inflammation and cracking.
There’s nothing fun about dry skin and during the winter it is even more challenging to lock moisture in and keep the damaging elements out. If you’re suffering from dryness you can re-hydrate and restore winter skin with these 5 DIY treatments (all made with soothing essential oils of course!).
1. SOFTENING CITRUS LIP BALM
Dry winter skin can take over and leave you with a cracked and peeling pucker. Keep your lips kissably soft and smooth with this winter lip balm recipe.
- 2 Tablespoons beeswax pellets
- 3 Tablespoons pure, raw shea butter
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 10-15 drops Citrus Bliss Blend
- 5 drops any other citrus essential oil you like (lemon, wild orange, bergamot – the options are endless!)
How to Make it:
In a small to medium-sized saucepan melt the beeswax pellets until they are smooth and blendable. Once the beeswax is liquefied, add in the shea butter until smooth. Then add in the coconut oil, constantly stirring until all the ingredients are well blended. Set the pan aside to cool (only slightly) then add in Citrus Bliss Blend essential oil and stir until completely incorporated. Pour the liquid mixture into a small glass jar, metal tin and even old lip balm tubes work great!
2. WINTER WOODS HAND & CUTICLE SALVE
Lumberjacks love the earthy fragrance of this woodsy winter hands salve. Rub it on dry, tearing or cracked cuticles to heal the damage caused by moisture loss and frigid winds. This salve also works wonders on women’s delicate winter hands, and cracked heels.
- 3 Tablespoons beeswax pellets
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
- 10-15 drops Rosewood essential oil
- 5 drops Sandalwood essential oil
- 5 drops Clary Sage essential oil
How to Make it:
In a small saucepan melt the beeswax pellets until they are smooth and blendable. Once the beeswax is liquefied, add in coconut oil, constantly stirring until the ingredients are well blended. Set the pan aside to cool (only slightly) then add in the essential oils and stir until completely incorporated. Pour the liquid mixture into a small glass jar or metal tin for later use.
3. ALL-OVER BODY SPRAY
There’s nothing that strips away vital moisture from your healthy skin than a hot shower. But we’d never suggest you skip it! Try spritzing this delectable spray all over your body to lock in moisture without the bother of rubbing in lotions, or body butters.
How to Make it:
Fill a 4-ounce spray bottle 3/4 of the way with Sweet Almond Oil. Add in the essential oils of your choice and gently shake the bottle to combine all of the oils together. Spray at will!
4. WHIPPED VANILLA BODY BUTTER
The essential oil of vanilla is decedent and luxurious for both men and women (and you wanna know a secret…? It’s also an aphrodisiac). This body butter is ultra-rich and loaded with nutrients that pamper and heal dry, irritated skin.
- ¼ cup shea butter
- ¼ cup cocoa butter
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup Sweet Almond Oil
- 10 drops of Chamomile (German) essential oil
- 10 drops of Vanilla essential oil
How to Make it:
Combine all of the butters and oils (besides essential oils) in a small to medium-sized pan. Turn the burner on low to medium heat and stir continuously until the mixture is liquefied. Remove from heat to allow the mixture to cool. Once the mixture is partially cooled you can add in the essential oils. But be sure not to wait too long! You’ll need the mixture to be liquid in order to transfer it into storage jars for later use.
Make it Whipped!
You can whip the body butter with a fork, or even a hand mixer until the mixture is fluffy and holds stiff peaks.
5. SWEET SUGAR SCRUB
Both sugar and honey are natural humectants, meaning that they work to attract and absorb moisture. Also highly nutrient-dense, this sugar scrub is a great way to maintain healthy, dewy-looking skin.
- 2 cups of organic coarse sugar
- 2 Tablespoons raw organic honey
- ½ cup of Coconut Oil
- ½ cup of Sweet Almond Oil
- 5-10 drops Myrrh essential oil
- 5-10 drops Rose essential oil
How to Make it:
Take all of ingredients except the honey, and combine them together in a medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine.Take the honey and warm it in the microwave for 5-15 seconds (just long enough to make it easily blendable). If you make it too hot, it will melt the sugar and ruin the exfoliant properties of the scrub. Add in the honey and stir until all of the ingredients are completely incorporated. Add in the essential oils and stir again. Transfer the scrub into a glass jar and store it for later use.
HOW TO PREVENT DRY SKIN DURING THE WINTER
Dry skin is something that affects people with all skin types, and those who have dry skin all year may notice that the problem only worsens during the winter. No matter what your skin type is, preventing moisture loss is key to keeping your skin touchably smooth, supple and hydrated. Here are just 3 ways you can keep dry winter skin from taking over!
1. Avoid Over-Washing. During the winter, germs can be concerning so we try to wash our hands as much as possible. But this is a healthy skin no-no! Over washing leads to over drying so try and keep your hand scrubbing to a minimum and instead, keep your airspace and surfaces disinfected at all times with the Cleaning Blend.
2. Keep Showers Short & Cool. There’s nothing that feels as good as a steaming shower on a cold day, but that hot water removes all of the natural protective oils in the skin. Keep your bathing routine short & sweet (no more than 10 minutes) to avoid worsening dry skin.
3. Improve Air Quality. Winter weather reports usually include very low humidity levels and this can leave your skin feeling tight and itchy. Bringing a humidifier into your home is a great way to bring moisture back into your environment and you can add your favorite essential oils into the mix!
A NOTE ON QUALITY
When you use essential oils for therapeutic purposes like healing dry cracked skin, you need a high-quality oil that contains large amounts of the volatile plant compounds responsible for its healing properties. There are a lot of companies out there that claim to make “therapeutic grade” oils, but in reality they simply don’t meet the strict quality standards that we have here at Healing Solutions.
All of our products are 100% pure and unadulterated so that you get all of the wonderful, potent and powerful plant essences you want – and nothing you don’t (like added fillers or chemicals). Healing Solutions essential oils are medicinal quality made to address all of your important health issues.