3 Ways Essential Oils Are Better Than Your Beauty Products Posted on 29 Jan 10:00
Non-toxic beauty products are getting harder to find these days. Did you know that out of approximately 82,000 ingredients used in personal care products today about 1 in 8 are some kind of industrial chemical, cancer causing carcinogen, hormone disruptor, pesticide, or reproductive toxin?
The Environmental Working Group is a non-profit regulating agency that works to protect Americans from pollutants in their personal care products. They recently released a list of the top 12 toxic ingredients found in everyday beauty products also known as the Dirty Dozen.
Take a moment to educate yourself on the EWG’s list detailing the Dirty Dozen chemicals found in many personal care and beauty products:
1. BHA and BHT. Butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene are synthetic preservatives found in things like lipstick and lotion. They are widely used chemicals known to cause allergic reactions in the skin. Some health agencies have classified these compounds as carcinogenic, hormone disruptors, and even called them downright toxic.
2. Coal Tar Dyes. Coal tars are known carcinogens and have been shown to mutate genetic material (DNA). Coal tar dyes go by many different names and you can identify them on ingredient labels because they are listed as either "FD&C" or "D&C" followed by a five-digit number (ex: FD&C Blue No. 1). Another common coal tar dye is known as P-phenylenediamine.
3. DEA. Diethanolamine is a chemical that makes soaps, facial cleansers, and shampoos sudsy. Sadly, this type of compound is known to cause everything from moderate skin and eye irritation to even more serious problems like precancerous skin cell mutations and thyroid dysfunction.
4. Dibutyl phthalate. A known environmental hazard, when this chemical is absorbed through the skin it may cause genetic mutations. A suspected endocrine disruptor, the negative effects of DBP are said to worsen with prolonged usage. Found mainly in nail polishes, removers, and hair dyes.
5. Formaldehyde-Releasing Preservatives. These can include DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, methenamine to name just a few! These preservative agents can be found in things like toilet bowl cleaner… and your cosmetics! Easily absorbed through the skin, health agencies have classified these chemicals as carcinogenic.
6. Parabens. You can probably find some variation of a paraben (those ingredients with the following words as a prefix: Butyl, Ethyl, Methyl and Propyl) in about 75 percent of your favorite items including shampoo, makeup, and lotion. Parabens penetrate the skin layers and are known carcinogens commonly present in tumors of both men and women. May be especially dangerous to women as they mimic a primary female hormone: estrogen.
7. Fragrance. This is one of THE MOST TOXIC ingredients you probably didn’t even know was in your beauty products. At any given time, you can probably find these neurotoxic and cancer-causing chemicals in your environment via your perfume or other fragranced items. Not only are they hormone disruptors, but companies don’t have to list what the ingredients in “fragrance” are. They can include over 3,000 chemicals listed as such on an ingredient label.
8. PEG Compounds. Also known as Polyethylene glycols, these compounds are derived from petroleum. Used in cosmetics to improve penetration, you can find them in most thickeners, lotions, and products with a cream base. They are known carcinogens, genotoxins, and environmental pollutants that linger for years after being washed down the drain.
9. Petrolatum. Found in moisturizers and hair care products, this ingredient is banned in Europe. Known to cause a variety of skin irritations and allergies. Also increases the risk of developing cancer when used over time.
10. Siloxanes. You can find these in deodorant, lotions, and facial treatments. They are commonly listed as ingredients ending in “methicone” or “siloxane” and are known to interfere with human hormone function. May contribute to reproductive and immune system harm.
11. Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES). Commonly found in shampoos, body washes and facial cleansers. Health agencies have classified SLES and other sulfates as health and environmental hazards as they are known to disrupt hormone development in humans and remain in the environment long after being discarded.
12. Triclosan. Found in things like toothpaste, deodorants, and cleansers, triclosan has been associated with the development of antibiotic resistance as well as endocrine disruption, and is classified as a carcinogen. Easily absorbed through the skin, traces of this chemical have been found in the urine of approximately 75 percent of people tested over the age of six (over 2,500 people were tested in this sample).
ESSENTIAL OILS TO THE RESCUE
So where to begin eliminating toxic chemicals so unexpectedly hiding within so many of your everyday personal care and beauty products? Sometimes, the more you know, the less you wish you DID know, right?
Fortunately, our all-natural friends, the essential oils, are here to help as always. In many cases, toxic products can be completely replaced by homemade recipes that focus on using all-natural ingredients in place of unwanted chemicals.
Here are just 3 ways that essential oils can help you to liberate your body from the harmful effects of EWG’s Dirty Dozen:
1. Anti-Aging. Some of the most toxic of all personal care products are those toted as “anti-aging.” Replacing these products with natural alternatives is a great way to not only improve your overall skin and body health, but likely even enhance your anti-aging efforts! These essential oils will help stop the hands of time, and leave you with radiant, younger-looking skin: Carrot (loaded with vitamin A, retinol), Frankincense (regenerative for new skin cells), Ylang Ylang (addresses skin aging hormones) and of course… our Anti-Aging Blend, made with a combination of some of the best essential oils for youthful skin including frankincense, sandalwood, French lavender, lemon, myrrh, rose geranium and tea tree oils.
2. Acne. Yet another primary culprit in the toxin department, acne treatments and facial cleansers tend to be loaded with aggressive chemicals that often do far more harm than good. Learning how to replace them with natural alternatives allows you to support the body’s natural processes and, in many cases, clear your acne and skin issues more effectively than ever before! There are so many reasons for breakouts and blemishes! But these essential oils are ideal for battling evil acne. Try Lavender as a spot treatment, Lemon to balance oil production in trouble areas, Neroli to hydrate and heal damaged skin, and Tea Tree as a deeply cleansing and refreshing toner and antiseptic.
3. Inflammation. One of the most common skin problems is inflammation. It shows up as general redness and irritation but can leave you feeling like you want to hide. No more! Add Myrrh to your cosmetic routine to rid yourself of discolored skin tone, Rose to hold onto essential moisture so you stay dewy, and finally Geranium for blood circulation and to tighten and tone healthy skin.
LET'S TALK CARRIER OILS
These essential oils work wonders on your skin and can help you to eliminate all of the toxic ingredients in your current beauty regimen. However, they should still be used with caution. Essential oils contain volatile plant compounds that are responsible for their many therapeutic benefits, and for this reason they should always be used carefully.
The safest way to enjoy the natural benefits of essential oils is to dilute them in a carrier oil of your choice. Some of the most popular carrier oils include sweet almond, coconut, and jojoba – and we’ve got them right here for you to take home along with your next purchase of essential oils! All-natural lotions are another great carrier for your favorite essential oils.
Simply mix a few drops of essential oil with the carrier oil or lotion of your choice and massage onto the skin for maximum healing benefits minus all the chemical toxins so prevalent within many of the big-name personal care and beauty products.
A NOTE ON QUALITY
We would never expect that you would replace your expensive (albeit chemically-laden) skin care products with an essential oil and then NOT get the results you desire.
That’s why each batch of essential oils we produce is tested and verified 100% therapeutic grade. That means that any bottle of Healing Solutions oil you purchase will always be completely void of any fillers, chemicals or harmful additives so that you get the most active plant-derived compounds to help maintain your youthful, healthy-looking skin.